Yesterday, we outlined six goals we intend to achieve in 2013. The first – to establish a plan – represents our focus today. As Act #15, we commit to ensuring that this plan addresses the following requirements.
- Deadline: Our plan – for action in 2013 and through the end of 2015 – must be in place by February 15, 2013.
- Scope: The plan must lay out the operational details required to advance our mission this year – specifically with respect to defining the three key four-month phases that will structure our focus in 2013. For each of these phases, the plan must define the following: major tasks and actions, staffing thresholds, key process definitions, office infrastructure needs, IT support, funding requirements, and the milestones and metrics essential to targeting results, measuring achievement and improving our execution strategy as we turn the corner and begin planning for 2014.
- Phase 1 (Walk): The first phase of the plan will extend through April 30, 2013. Planning for these months must focus intensively on completing the initial foundation for this program. This includes the following core activities: filing for 501(c)3 status; allocating space to the program within Hillard Heintze’s new office complex at 30 South Wacker Drive in Chicago; designing a basic brochure; developing a website; convening an “advocate team” of experts, parents and teachers from the Chicago area; establishing a “visit list” of major corporate sponsors; identifying possible grant sources and initiating applications; stipulating funding goals for Phase 2 and Phase 3; and specifying exactly how these funds will be put to use.
- Phase 2 (Run): The second phase of the plan will unfold between May 1 and August 30, 2013. Planning for these months must outline how the results of Phase I – both outcomes achieved and missed – set the operational targets for the middle of the year. This must include how initial funds raised are put to use and where the highest priorities will lie in terms of both value delivered to schools requesting support as well as program development requirements necessary to support future activity.
- Phase 3 (Sprint): The third phase of the plan will extend from September 1 through December 31, 2013. Planning targets for these months depend greatly on the results of Phase 1 and Phase 2.