Police Department Assessments
How We Can Help
Members of the Hillard Heintze team have planned and directed some of the most complex law enforcement initiatives federal, state and local policing organizations have undertaken over the past 30 years. With a focus on community policing strategies, our police assessment training services can help you ensure your law enforcement agency’s operations are of the highest integrity by adopting best-practice-based strategies in policing. We do so by providing support in the following areas.
Police Department or Operational Unit Assessments
- Analysis and evaluation – at either the department or unit level – of strengths and weaknesses and the most strategic opportunities to improve performance.
- Comprehensive law enforcement consulting analyses and evaluations of police departments that span key investigative, operational, administrative, technical and organizational policies, practices and performance.
- Can be scoped narrowly around one or several critical areas such as Internal Affairs or one that lends itself to special oversight, training and monitoring requirements such as the narcotics division or patrol units dedicated to high-crime neighborhoods.
- Key factors assessed include, for example: mission, purpose and organizational alignment; accountability and command and control effectiveness; organizational structure, staffing and HR processes; constitutional policing and collaborative reform; community-oriented policing; use of force; stops, searches and arrests; constitutional policing; diversity in hiring and promotion; alternative service delivery approaches; use of technology and communications systems; and ethics, integrity and public trust.
Police Department Staffing Study and Analysis
- Examination of data about citizen-initiated calls for service, department-initiated activities and administrative activities.
- Close evaluation of geographic and temporal allocation as well as work schedules to test how they affect police staffing.
- Includes staff interviews, focus groups, and ride-alongs to understand the department’s members and how they view their work.
- Key emphasis is placed on staffing performance objectives in order to reflect community expectations about the use of discretionary time and permit the agency to meet its goals in proactive patrol and investigative strategies.