Law Enforcement Strategic Planning and Development
How We Can Help
Entrust this critical assignment to Hillard Heintze. We provide expert guidance on addressing assessment findings and structuring transformative actions that bring about positive change. As law enforcement consulting experts, we help mayors, city councils, chiefs of police and other senior law enforcement leaders capture and document a high-level, risk-driven, multi-year strategy by providing support in the following areas.
- Strategic focus on creating or improving police department program development, particularly with respect to critical areas such as leadership and supervision, community policing; internal affairs; investigations; patrol; policy, procedures and training; technology; and ethics and community-focused conduct.
- Independent, third-party review of an existing law enforcement agency strategy or comparable police strategic planning document. Comparison of the guidance, content and structure with best practices in police department strategy roadmaps and action plans. Validation of the strategy’s strengths and recommendations on where the most important opportunities to improve the strategy lie.
- Focus on other areas such as mission, vision and principles; organizational charts and an overview of each major departmental component; master planning schedule; responsibility by leader, division or team; defined formal and informal reporting requirements for the full duration of the multi-year strategy; metrics and guidelines to track and measure achievement against goals and objectives; and process to assess and update the strategy two to three times per year to accommodate changes in resources and requirements.
Management and Leadership Oversight
- Placement of an Interim Police Chief and temporary delivery of services under the explicit authority of city or law enforcement leaders when an agency is in crisis or its leadership leaves in the midst of an independent assessment. This allows agency to continue to deliver police services during periods of transition. Can also include identifying suitable police chief candidates once a new roadmap and objectives have been identified.
- Additional services to support agency stability and transition such as setting strategic aims and objectives; identifying and evaluating options; analyzing cost, benefits and effectiveness; and establishing a management framework for strategy implementation; measuring performance; developing action plans; estimating funding requirements; and defining human resources and training
Modernization and Transformation
- Guidance, direction and support in helping government and police leaders position a police department to become more proactive in how it interacts with and police communities and engages use of force.
- Assistance in building strategies to address community engagement, de-escalation of force and constitutionally guided policing.
Advisory Counsel on Policing and Law Enforcement Issues
- Independent, third-party reviews and the on-demand provision of subject-matter experts for support on crime reduction issues.
- Issues can include family violence; domestic abuse; crimes against children, women or the elderly; hate crimes; repeat offenders; and targeted violence and crime in schools.
- Issues can also include mass demonstrations and uprisings; traffic stop policies and practices; hostage scenarios; suicide bomb threats; crime mapping; race-neutral profiling; and, drugs and gang violence.