Why I Asked Rob to Join the Team
The first reason is his passion for law enforcement and his commitment to improving it across the United States. I saw in him someone who truly understood what national best practices meant in this critical arena and clearly had the skills and a long track-record leading change in this regard.
He also had – and still has – a tremendous reputation throughout the law enforcement leadership community in this country, a standing that explains his success and effectiveness when he served as President of the Major Cities Chiefs Association.
What Rob Does at Hillard Heintze
Rob has done a wonderful job of translating his public sector skills to his work in the private sector and with his role at Hillard Heintze. He is responsible for the firm’s West Coast operations and serves as a well-liked and trusted advisor to our corporate and high net worth clients in the region on all matters related to security risk management and investigations. He also leads the Hillard Heintze Senior Leadership Council (SLC). Rob has distinguished himself as a critical advisor and senior team member on a high-level engagement that Hillard Heintze conducted in partnership with DHS’s Homeland Security Studies and Analysis Institute to evaluate the existing integrity and counter-corruption programs within U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Rob has also led an assessment in Seattle of the King County, Washington Sheriff’s Department’s Internal Affairs process; assisted in the department-wide assessment of the Schaumburg, Illinois Police Department; earned the confidence of a police board in Texas seeking the design and implementation of an ethics and integrity program and training curriculum for its police department; created a written Active Shooter Plan for a major East Coast hospital complex; assisted in an assessment of the global security operations for one of the largest entertainment and media entities in the world; and provided advice and guidance to high net worth individuals in Silicon Valley who were challenged with a variety of safety and security issues.
Highlights of Rob’s Work before Hillard Heintze
- A 30-year veteran of the San Jose, California Police Department, rose from patrol officer to six-year tenure as Chief of Police of the tenth-largest city in the nation.
- As a Captain, oversaw the nation’s first voluntary study of racial profiling conducted by a local police agency.
- Earned international recognition as an expert in addressing gangs and gang violence, and served as a consultant for the U.S. State Department on five separate occasions.
- Traveled to El Salvador, Honduras, Venezuela, Guatemala and Nicaragua to provide training to federal police agencies, politicians, government administrators, education leaders, heads of social service organizations and citizens regarding the design, implementation and evaluation of anti-gang programs.
- Served in national and international leadership positions, in part as President of the Major Cities Chiefs Association.
- Took a leadership role in advocating on Capitol Hill for the reallocation of the 700 MHz, broadband radio spectrum (the “D Block”) to public safety – paving the way for an interoperable, nationwide broadband network for all public safety partners that will significantly impact their ability to share both voice and strategic data information.
Where Rob Spends His Time When He Is Not Working
Rob is a family man who loves spending time with his wife, 15-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son – particularly, I understand, when that time is spent on the islands of Maui and Kauai. His personal hobbies include a love of bicycling, swimming, triathlons and scuba diving. His bicycling experiences include 3,605-mile, 36-day cross-country bicycle odyssey across the United States, a trip which began on the beach of Santa Cruz, California and ended on the beach at Yorktown, Virginia. Rob also volunteers as a Board Member for the Silicon Valley-Monterey Bay Council of the Boy Scouts of America and for the San Jose Police Foundation.
Education and Degrees
Rob holds a B.A. degree with Honors in English from San Jose State University and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Master of Public Administration degree from Golden Gate University. He holds a Master Instructor’s Certificate from the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) and is a graduate of the FBI’s National Executive Institute and the FBI’s National Academy.
Got a Question for Rob?
Want to know what is involved in protecting one of the largest cities in the country? Or do you want to know how he keeps from bragging about the nice weather in California while his colleagues in Chicago and on the East Coast have three feet of snow on the ground? Post a comment below, and Rob will get back to you.
(Our “Get to Know” campaign is a bi-monthly feature on the Front Line Blog – my short introduction to key members of our team here at Hillard Heintze. Each expert is here because he or she has demonstrated sustained levels of excellence in one or many aspects of security risk management and investigations. They’re here because they bring a rich diversity of backgrounds, talents and interests in risk security to what we do for our clients.)