(This is the first installment of a bi-monthly feature on the Front Line Blog. Twice a month, I’ll be posting a short introduction to key members of our team here at Hillard Heintze. Every member of our team is here because he or she has demonstrated sustained levels of excellence in aspects of security risk management and investigations. They’re here because they bring a rich diversity of backgrounds, talents and interests to what we do for our clients. Get to know Hillard Heintze. Today, let me tell you a bit about John Orloff.)
Why I Asked John to Join the Team
I had actually worked with John for years. I knew of his record and his reputation in the U.S. Secret Service as a man of integrity, a professional with tremendous competency and an individual who was tenacious – and seemingly tireless – in carrying out his responsibilities. And I knew that these traits would immediately be recognized and valued by our clients at Hillard Heintze.
What John Does at Hillard Heintze
John is a senior advisor to our clients – corporations, major public organizations and affluent families – on critical investigations and security risk management issues. He spends most of his time bringing his international and domestic experience in complex financial investigations, threat assessments and crisis management to bear on key client engagements.
Highlights of John’s Work before Hillard Heintze
- Served twenty years in the U.S. Secret Service.
- Was a key member of both the Vice Presidential and Presidential Protective Divisions from 1987 to 1992.
- Prepared security arrangements for the G-7 Security Summit in Helsinki, the International Commerce Summit in Tokyo, the Presidential Economic Forum in Rome, the 1992 Republican National Convention in Houston, the 1996 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, and the 1999 visit of Pope John Paul to St. Louis.
- Coordinated logistics for a wide array of investigative and protective functions ranging from counterfeit investigations and international fraud schemes to cases involving threats of Secret Service protectees.
- Made strategic action plan recommendations as an inspector for the Secret Service in Washington, D.C., which included evaluating investigative and protective office operations; directing highly sensitive and confidential internal investigations; and overseeing the investigations of allegations regarding the abuse of civil rights, civil liberties and profiling on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion.
- Managed and developed strategies to safeguard public transportation throughout the Midwestern United States, post 9/11 as Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Office of Law Enforcement.
Where John Spends His Time When He Is Not Working
He spends his off-time on the baseball diamond with young athletes as a volunteer baseball coach – something he really enjoys. He sees it as a terrific way to help these adolescents learn the value of sportsmanship and fair play. He also volunteers his time to ensure inner-city youth have the opportunity to experience hiking, canoeing and contributing to wilderness service projects.
Education and Degrees
John received both his Bachelor of Arts degree in business management and his associate’s degree in criminal justice from Southern Illinois University. He has also completed coursework in strategic thinking at Johns Hopkins University. I am proud to have John as a key member of our team here at Hillard Heintze.
Got a Question for John?
Go ahead and post a comment. What’s on your mind? Let’s see if John responds.